Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a chemical that is used in some common body products as a lathering agent. It is what stripes your hair from oils and makes your shampoo lather so well.
It started out as a heavy-duty detergent as a degreaser in the industrial business. It was not meant to be used on human skin. Today, SLS is one of the most used chemicals in the US. It is also known to have safety and toxic issues. Multiple studies since 1998 have link it to cancer but it hasn’t been proved therefore FDA has not banded it…. yet.
Some Facts to Know:
- SLS stripes all natural oils from your hair.
- SLS damages hair follicles, which can be a cause of why you lose more hair than normal
- SLS can stripe your hair of color faster and cause highlights to fade or look more bronzy
- SLS can make your hair more fizzy
- SLS dries out your hair and takes away its natural shine.
- Can cause skin and scalp to itch
- The chemical toxins in SLS can also penetrate through the skin into your system.
I’ve noticed brands like Dove shampoo and Herbal Essenes make my head itch. I never knew why but always steered clear to them. Know I link SLS to the factor. I can also definitely tell I don’t lose as much hair in the shower now I am SLS Free.
Some of my favorite SLS Free shampoos:
Remember since SLS free doesn’t foam as much doesn’t mean it isn’t cleaning your hair or that you need to use twice as much.
Let me know what your favorite SLS free shampoo is!
Shampoo Bottle Picture : http://www.care2.com/greenliving/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-based-shampoos.html